Southridge is a co-ed, independent day school located in South Surrey, BC with 680 students enrolled in Kindergarten through Grade 12. Our mission is to develop well-rounded students who love learning, realize their full potential, and make a difference in the world.
Southridge is affectionately described as ‘a lighthearted place of serious purpose’ and we want you to know…it’s true! If you enjoy working in an energizing, collaborative, and collegial environment with colleagues who are passionate about nurturing strong minds and good hearts we want to hear from you!
POSITION DESCRIPTION: PRIMARY YEARS EDUCATIONAL ASSISTANT/AFTER SCHOOL CLUB SUPERVISOR, JUNIOR SCHOOL (CONTINUING, FULL-TIME)
We invite applications for the full-time (1.0 FTE) position of Grade 1 Educational Assistant & After School Club Supervisor. This position starts in September 2022. The successful candidate must be available to attend Southridge Faculty Orientation Days, starting on August 26.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUITES OF THE EDUCATIONAL ASSISTANT (approx. 0.6 FTE – 8:45 am – 2:30 pm)
- Collaborate with the Grade 1 teachers to support opportunities for play-based inquiry, social-emotional learning, and literacy and numeracy development.
- Work with the Grade 1 team and other members of the Learning Strategies team to determine and support specific student needs and monitor student response to intervention.
- Provide individual and small group educational and functional support to Grade 1 students (e.g. literacy or numeracy intervention, behaviour support, executive functioning support).
- Support the documentation of students’ learning and behaviour.
- Provide daily playground supervision.
- Attend relevant meetings with parents and colleagues.
- Participate in opportunities for ongoing professional learning and growth.
- Support relevant school-based special events (e.g. concerts, learning conferences).
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUITES OF THE AFTER SCHOOL CLUB SUPERVISOR (approx. 0.4 FTE – 2:30 pm – 4:45 pm)
- Plan and supervise indoor and outdoor activities for the school-aged children of Southridge faculty and staff who attend the after-school club program; provide care on late start days and on non-instructional learning conference days
- Organize and run the registration spreadsheet and proactively communicate with parents re: logistics, activities etc.
- Adhere to appropriate attendance and safety procedures
- Ensure a safe and caring environment for students attending the after-school club program
- Educational Assistant Certificate/Diploma that meets BC requirements
- 1-3 years of experience as an EA in an early primary setting
- A strong understanding of and ability to implement evidence-based response to early literacy and numeracy interventions (e.g. Orton Gillingham methodology, Fountas & Pinnell Levelled Literacy Intervention)
- Experience supporting a range of learning and behavioural needs in an inclusive classroom environment
- A proven understanding of children’s social and emotional needs, particularly at the early primary/Grade 1 level
- Experience with integrating and using assistive and adaptive technology to support student success
- Highly collegial and collaborative team member
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to build a caring rapport with students, families, and colleagues
- Canadian resident legally entitled to work in Canada
- Hold or be willing to obtain a First Aid Certificate
Southridge offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Preferred candidates will be required to complete a satisfactory Criminal Records Check.
To apply for this position, please visit our 'How to Apply' page for step-by-step instructions on submitting an application through our online system. This posting will remain open until filled.
To learn more about our school, explore our website: southridge.ca.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those under consideration will be contacted.