This week our Senior School is having it’s first ever Pride Week! Pride week celebrates the LGBTQ2S+ community. LGBTQ2s+ stands for: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender/Transsexual, Queer/Questioning, Two Spirit, and the ‘plus’ is for anyone and everyone else!
For the past few years, Southridge has had an annual Rainbow Day, where students and staff dress in rainbow-coloured clothing to show their support for the LGBTQ2S+ community. This year we are stepping it up and having a variety of events, displays, and activities going on all week, including:
- Out In Schools presentation for Grades 8-12 (exploring LGBTQ issues through film and media)
- LGBTQ flag display in the Great Hall
- Morning playlists inspired by LGBTQ artists
- Rainbow-themed food in the Cafe
- Art displays from members of the SOGI Club (Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Club)
- History display mapping out Canada’s LGBTQ History
- Rainbow dress day on Friday, May 14th with donations going to an LGBTQ Charity
- And more!
Pride Week is important because it shows that in our community, we support everyone, no matter what sexual orientation or gender identity they have. Whether you are a member of the LGBTQ community, or an ally, I hope you have a great time supporting Pride Week!
Contributed by Joelle Prevost, Senior School Counsellor