When you enter a classroom in the Senior School, whether it is a Science, Mathematics, English, Socials, or Language class, you'll see students and a teacher seated at a large oval table engaged in a conversation. The nature of the discussion will be different, but one unifying observation will remain the same: a discussion-based, student-centered, collaborative learning process is taking place there!
Southridge School has been committed to Harkness learning since 2008. We are the only school in Canada to fully implement the Harkness philosophy of teaching across a Senior School curriculum. The partnerships created at the table lead students to find their own meaning through analysis and discussion with their peers. The purposeful integration of technology, incorporated with this student-centered approach, enables our students to:
- ask excellent questions that challenge them and others to think critically
- listen and understand different perspectives
- work collaboratively with others to solve problems
- think critically and apply concepts to new learning
- communicate their thoughts and ideas succinctly
- be an engaged learner
- experience learning through doing
- increase awareness of their own learning
We continue to refine and grow in this area with many of our teachers contributing to research and professional development in Harkness Learning and Teaching, Harkness Coaching, and Outreach to other schools.
Are you interested in learning more or do you have any questions? Please submit an inquiry form to get in touch with our Admissions team.