Post-Secondary Guidance and Career Education clone
Southridge strives to develop creative, independent thinkers who become life-long learners that seek their passion and make a difference in the world. Our University Counselling program informs students on options and pathways in higher education and careers while helping them make sound decisions in planning their futures. Southridge expects students to take the initiative by carefully evaluating their options and starting to identify their passions and interests. Every student should be a leader in shaping his or her own future.
Southridge School has hosted the Canadian University Fair to provide students with an opportunity to speak to University representatives.
In Grades 8 and 9, students are provided an opportunity to tour the University Counselling centre, meet the counselling staff and build awareness of post-secondary planning as part of their Health and careers course.
Planning 10 marks the start of the program delivery of the formal program at Southridge. It begins with an exploration of careers, graduation requirements and basic university requirements, a process that helps to inform their course selection for the following school year. As students move through Senior School, they investigate these areas in greater depth. They start to formulate a career plan, become familiar with specific university program requirements, research universities and programs that will suit their needs, abilities and goals, and successfully apply and gain admission to these programs.
Southridge students and parents can participate in a series of events hosted by the school that are staged for Southridge families. The events typically include:
- The CUE Fair – a Canada-wide universities fair (area schools are invited to have their students attend)
- Canadian Universities Evening Program
- U.S. Universities Evening Program
- U.S. Universities Lunch workshops for students
- U.K. Universities Afternoon Program
- U.K. Universities Lunch application workshop for students
- Athletics Recruiting and Scholarships Evening Program (open to the public)
- Course Selection Evening Programs, Grade 8 to 11
- Alumni University Panel
- Individual University Representative Visits
- Other panels and presentations on university or career-related topics
Students who are bound for school in the U.S. also have free access to an online PSAT/SAT/ACT test preparation program to which Southridge subscribes.